Thursday, 6 April 2017

IWSG: Running Up That Hill & Goodreads Book Group


Founded by Alex J. Cavanaugh, the IWSG's purpose is to share and encourage. A place where writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds. 

The awesome co-hosts for this month's post are Christopher D. Votey, Madeline Mora-Summonte, Fundy Blue, and Chrys Fey. Please drop by and thank them.

Lately, it feels like I'm always running to catch up and never quite getting to my destination. Hence why my IWSG post is a day late, again. My life is packed full with work, family, friends, and a myriad of non-writing jobs that need doing. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. I love my life. But my writing constantly comes way down the priority list. My other half keeps telling me I can take all the time I need, but that wouldn't feel right if he's left to do most of the housework, gardening, and so on. He's promised me a summer house, but that will involve clearing a large part of the garden and he'll need help. Can I really leave him to do it all? It doesn't seem right.

What I love about these IWSG posts is that writing down my insecurities is in and of itself cathartic. It's like keeping a diary, which I don't. Maybe I should, because writing down what's bothering me helps to put things into perspective. It was only a few days ago that my other half told me he's looking forward to sunny days, with him gardening and me sat at the garden table writing. He loves gardening. He'd spend all his time doing it if he could. I really should take a leaf out of his book (excuse the pun) and get busy writing.

I'm not answering this month's IWSG question, as it's related to A to Z and it's been a few years since I've taken part. If you're doing A to Z this year, have a wonderful month!



I do, however, want to give a massive shout-out for the IWSG Goodreads Book Club. They'll be reading one book every two months. Follow the link to find out more and join.

That's it for today's post. As always, I love reading your comments.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the mention of the new Goodreads group.
    He loves to garden so he makes time for it. You love writing so...get my drift?
    And maybe that's part of what makes the IWSG successful - just the writing down of insecurities, at least once a month, like a diary. You may have nailed it, Ellie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been feeling like I'm running late on what I should be doing. My to-do list gets longer each month. Your other half does have a point. If you want to write, then you have to make time for it. It was something I realized back in June 2015. Something had to change, so July 1 of that year, I started writing a bit every day. Some days I don't write much at all. I think my lowest word count was 7 words, but so far I've written every day. I'm grateful for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sharing and writing through our insecurities for IWSG is like free therapy, isn't it? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ellie - I'd help the other half with the summerhouse - sounds wonderful! - then look forward and use it for your writing, while he potters around gardening ... he'll be happy and you'll be happy. Keep that journal too ...

    Sounds idyllic - enjoy .. and good luck with the writing - cheers - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel like I'm running behind things, too - except I'm not running, I'm slowly meandering while worrying.
    Happy Gardening and Writing this month!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I get the writing down your whole insecurities thing. It helps me. A LOT. That's why I started blogging again... under a fake name. When I was deep into the blog scene a few years ago, your blog was always one of my favorites to read. I am going to start reading your blog again, because I miss it.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. They make my day!