Wednesday, 19 March 2014

An Interview With Science Fiction & Fantasy Romance Author Susan Gourley


This week's Speculative Fiction Writer is long-time blogging and talented writing friend, Susan Gourley. She agreed to answer a few of my more probing questions, and survived the experience.



Hi Susan. Thank you for dropping by. Please take a seat and help yourself to a refreshing cup of tea and one of my rock cakes. Here we go:

Q: Which three words best describe you?

I’m so happy to be here on this cold, rainy day. My three words: Organized, multi-tasker and focused.

Q: If I came to your house for dinner, what would you cook me?

You would get a chance at my crockpot Mac-n-Cheese with bacon. It’s my kids’ favourite.

Q: What is your favourite non-writing pastime?

Like most writers, I love to read first and foremost, but I also enjoy baking, jogging, jigsaw puzzles, cross-stitch and working outside.

Q: Do you collect anything other than books?

Not one thing. I resist clutter of any sort. Whenever something is missing at our house, the family accuses me of giving it away.

Q: Star Trek or Star Wars?

Definitely Trek and I love the latest ones with Chris Pine.

Q: You write both science fiction and fantasy romance. Do you have any crossover readers or do you have two distinct groups of readers?

I have friends and family who read all my stuff but I’m not sure if my readers follow from genre to genre. I hope they do.

Q: I love science fiction. Would you like to share an extract from Marine's Queen with us?

Callie froze. What had she been thinking? Her earlier perceptions of the marines rose to haunt her. Lab creations. At the very least, he was a man she would leave behind as soon as an opportunity arose.
Joe’s arms loosened and then dropped away. He looked a bit dazed and certainly confused.
Guilt flooded Callie. She’d led him on, driven by her lust and loneliness. She was cruel, just as he’d accused her. And selfish. She knew herself as a woman plain in appearance with a figure too full and large for fashion. It flattered her to have a handsome man like Joe lusting for her.  For her and not her throne or her special gifts.
“I don’t know why you let me kiss you, Lady Callie.” Joe backed away. “Are you playing at some game for your own amusement? You may question my origins and my humanity, but I’m a man. I have a man’s desires and a man’s needs. Don’t offer to satisfy them unless you mean it.”
He stalked back to camp. Callie rubbed her arms against a chill caused by more than the setting of the sun. She didn’t fear Joe or his needs. She feared her own carnal urges. It wasn’t just his body or pretty face that drew her toward him. Was it gratitude? No.
In her duty as ruler of Giroux, she’d met many men in leadership positions. Some were labeled heroes, noble, honorable, or great statesmen for their people. For the first time in her thirty-three years, Callie felt she really understood the true meaning of nobility and honor. They were titles to be earned.
Honor was walking away from a woman who you believed would regret her actions if you took what she offered. Nobility was sharing the last drop of your water with a stranger in the desert.
Callie took a deep breath and let it out slow. She was a queen. It was time she started to act like one.

Q: Where do you write?

I have an entire room for my office with two desks put together to form an el shape. Everything is right at my fingertips. I love it but the door doesn’t lock. My family intrudes all the time.

Q: What is the best piece of writing advice you've been given?

Someone told me early on to always be working on the next project. Don’t wait to hear back from and editor or agent, get the next book started.

Thanks for having me here today, Ellie.



My blog: Susan Says

Twitter: @SusanKelley

Facebook: Susan Gourley


Thank you, Susan. I loved the extract. I'm certainly hooked. I had to laugh when you mentioned about clutter, I'm probably the opposite. I don't have loads of possession because I live in a small flat, but I do have lots of science fiction memorabilia and other items. I hate throwing anything away. I guess we are all different.

That's it for this week. I'll be back on Monday. Have an awesome rest of the week.

34 comments:

  1. Thanks for having me here, Ellie. The only thing I have approaching clutter is so many books I have shelves in six different rooms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Star Trek!! You rock, Susan.
    I don't collect anything else either. Movies and music go straight on my iPad so no clutter.
    Mac and cheese with bacon. Now that sounds good. Be right over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would always be welcome, Alex. About six or seven hours north for dinner.

      Delete
  3. Great excerpt and interview. Now I have this strange craving for mac & cheese -- I wonder why? lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would love mine, Lexa. If it weren't so fattening, I'd make it every week.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for the great interview, Ellie and Susan! I loved reading the excerpt - it did it's job, because I want to know a lot more :) Oh, and "crockpot Mac-n-Cheese with bacon"??? YUM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting, Liz. I often wonder if my boys would like the Mac and cheese so much if I didn't put bacon in it.

      Delete
  5. Ellie, I found my way here from Susan's blog. So lovely of you to host her. And I loved the sample from the novel, Susan!!!!

    On a side note, have you considered adding Google Friend Connect to your page so that someone can follow you that way? I am so blog stupid that I don't know how to do it any other way.... thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robin, in your blogger dashboard just click 'add' under Reading List and it will add any blog to your blogger reader.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for coming by, Robin. Glad you enjoyed the sample.

      Delete
  6. Wonderful excerpt! Your desk sounds marvelous too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love my little desk set up. It's so comfy and I get work done there.

      Delete
  7. haha no clutter is the way to be, fun interview

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pat. I'm still reeling from the pictures on your blog today.

      Delete
  8. Awesome, and I think that's great advice. You should always be working on the next thing--if not actively writing it, at least plotting or brainstorming. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And Mac n Cheese, Crystal. Thought you should know I put extra cheese in.

      Delete
  9. Great interview, ladies. I'm with Ellie. I'm all about clutter, whether deep down I want to be or not! It's just how it pans out at my place.

    Terrific excerpt, Susan.
    And I've been loving the new Star Trek movies too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have little ones, Ava. Clutter is part of that time of life. thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  10. Awesome cover, Susan. Hope you sell tons of books. I agree about Star Trek. I love the new Chris Pine movies. Can't wait for the next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris Pine surprised me with his acting abilities. And of course, Karl Urban nails McCoy.

      Delete
  11. Great interview! I think Trek tops Wars for me too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Jemi. Lots of trekkies here.

      Delete
  12. I enjoyed the interview Ellie and Susan. And that piece of advice that was given to you, Susan, I'm going to jot that on a sticky and keep it where I can see it :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You made my day, Angela. I feel so good when I can pass on even a little bit of the help given to me.

      Delete
  13. Good interview, thanks for sharing and boogie boogie.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great interview! I love the questions and the format, and Susan's answers are great. It's funny, I used to be a Star Wars first fan, but now that I've seen the Clone Wars cartoon, I'm just disappointed. The new Star Trek films have been stellar, and then I'm married to a Trekkie so I think he's been influencing me.
    I love the advice . . . always work on the next project. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tryean, I started out as a Star Wars fan too but I switched camps a number of years ago. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  15. This was a perfectly short and great interview. Great questions and answers. Loved the excerpt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Shelly. Ellie makes her interviews just right.

      Delete
  16. Wonderful interview, ladies, and excellent advice, Susan. Best of luck with Marine's Queen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you didn't need my advice, Cate. You're always working on something new.

      Delete
  17. An interesting post that I enjoyed reading.

    Thank you. Love love, Andrew. Bye.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great interview and I loved the excerpt! I'm also craving Mac-n-Cheese now. :D

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. They make my day!