Wednesday, 9 October 2013

River Fairchild - Speculative Fiction Writer

If you're looking for this month's Indie Life post, please click here.



I'm delighted to welcome Diamonds and Dust author, and fellow Untethered Realms member, River Fairchild. She agreed to answer some of my more probing questions. Over to you, River.



Q: What is your favourite day of the week and why?
A. The one that ends in Y. Or the one where I get to write and ignore everything else. Or any day where I wake up and I'm not amongst the undead.
Q: What three colours best describe you?
A. Green because it's a calm color. Purple because it's vibrant and I might want to dye my hair that color someday. And rainbow because I'm like all colors super-charging me in a swirl of confusion. I might have lied about the calm part…
Q: If I were invited to dinner, what would you cook me?
A. I get to cook you? Oh, sorry. Verb confusion. If I invited you to dinner, we'd go out to eat – preferably for Chinese, Italian, or Mexican. Or all three. No cleanup afterwards either!
Q: Star Trek or Star Wars?
A. Both! They are very different structures so I love them for a variety of reasons. Star Trek because I'd love to live in that era, preferably on DS9. Star Wars because I have a crush on Han Solo…
Q: What was the first book you fell in love with?
A. As a young teen I discovered Robert Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land and fell in love with science fiction. Although I would question his attitudes about women now, back then he made those women seem adventurous to me and gave me a perspective lacking in my life.
Q: If you had the power to make one fictional character into a real person, whom would you pick?
A. Uhh…I did mention Han Solo, did I not?
Q: What is your favourite writing quote?
A. There are so many! One of my favorites is:  “Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.” ― Roald Dahl. Another is: “There's nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and open a vein.” ― Red Smith
Q: Which of your characters do you most easily identify with and why?
A. Julia Farnsbotham. I hear you snickering at the name… She is a brave, intelligent woman, single-minded, determined – and stuck in the 1870s when women weren't supposed to be any of those things. Julia is my current work in progress, a steampunk alternate world set in London. She's fun, sassy, and will go her own way, no matter what.
Q: What is your next big project?
A. Besides working on the steampunk novel, I'm releasing an epic fantasy on Dec. 9th called Diamonds & Dust. This is book 1 of a series of 5 and I'm hoping to have book 2 of the series, Dragon's Lament, out by March of 2014.
Magic is real. So is betrayal.
Two heirs. A Kingdom of dust on a troubled world. One might resurrect it. One might destroy it all.


Archaeologist David Alexander investigates the cave where his father disappeared and hurtles into another world, one filled with magic and bizarre creatures. The mad ravings in his father's journals of icemen and dragons may not be fantasies after all.


Convinced his father may still be alive, David begins a treacherous journey to find him and discover a way home. Along the way, he encounters a few unlikely friends. A Dreean warrior, a beautiful thief and a satyr join him as he searches.


David's arrival into this new world sets off an explosive chain reaction of events. Faced with powerful adversaries and few clues, he may not get the chance to rescue his father before disaster strikes, condemning both of them to death. Or worse.

Available for pre-order:
Kobo Books 
Apple Store - coming soon
Barnes & Noble - coming soon



River Fairchild is somewhat odd, brandishes a dry sense of humor, owned by several cats. Lives in a fantasy world. A fabricator of magic. Makes stuff up and spins tales about it. Believes in Faerie crossings and never staying in one place for very long. Speculative Fiction wordsmith. The secret to her stories? Spread lies, blend in truths, add a pinch of snark and a dash of tears. Escape into her world. She left the porch light on so you can find your way down the rabbit hole.

You find River here.


Thank you, River. I think I might have choosen Hans Solo as well! I'm looking forward to reading Diamonds and Dust.

That's it for this week, but don't forget to pick up more Creepy Freebies this Friday - Simon Kewin, Roland Yeomans, Christine Rains, Cate Gardner will be headlining. I'll be back on Monday. Until then, have an awesome week.

33 comments:

  1. Maybe Hans Solo could visit you on DS9?
    Ready to go out to eat when you are, River.
    And your choice of name for your character is awesome...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that would be perfect, Alex! Han Solo and me, living on DS9...
      I'm so glad you like Julia's name. :)

      Delete
  2. When I read another Heinlein classic, Have Spacesuit. Will Travel, it changed my view of the world also.
    Diamonds & Dust looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never read that one, Huntress! I'll have to look it up but it's interesting that he changed your world view as well. There are probably many of us who owe our awakening to him.

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much for having me over here, Ellie! Any trip across the Pond is a good one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's always interesting reading about other writers. What a beautiful book cover and a lovely picture of your good self.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, Paula! We are such an oddly put together bunch. ;)
      Thank you about the book cover. I love it! As to my lovely picture, that is Julia Farnsbotham and she will be gracing my steampunk cover.

      Delete
  5. I remember being blown away by Stranger in a Strange Land. The scale of it was staggering.

    Book 1 in a series of 5...now that's worth waiting for.

    Great interview. Great interviewee...and interviewer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to read it again, Kevin. It's been so many years and yet it still haunts me!
      Thank you for your kind words, my fine Irish friend. I'm scribbling book 2 as we speak!

      Delete
  6. I could get into Hans Solo too.

    By the way, your character... JULIA and I'm Julie... coincidence? I think not.

    And for anyone needing a GREAT read, I encourage you to get Laura's book Diamonds and Dust. Wonderful story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, JULI...ah... ahem, yes, well...of course it's not a coincidence! :D
      And Diamonds and Dust is RIVER'S book. Repeat after me. River's book. ;)

      Delete
  7. Hilarious interview, River! The quote you mentioned by Red Smith is one of my all time favorite quotes, and I also have a crush on Han Solo. What girl who is a fan of Star Wars doesn't have a crush on Han Solo?! ;)

    Thank you for interviewing River, Ellie. I really enjoyed it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chrys! I'm glad you enjoyed my mumblings. :D
      Yes, that's such a great quote!
      Han Solo...sigh...

      Delete
  8. LOL! Woman, you totally sound like my kind of crazy. Loved the interview. Come stop by and we'll much on cheese together sometime. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Crystal! I love than I'm your kind of crazy!
      *hands you a snuggy jacket that ties in the back*
      Cheese is the most perfect food in the world. I'm so there!

      Delete
  9. Steampunk, alternate world set in London? I'm so there. Loved your interview!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome, Nikki! When it's ready to meet the world I'll hijack Ellie's blog and let you know about it. :D
      *waves to Ellie*

      Delete
  10. Julia sounds brilliant. And her name struck a chord - until recently our Prime Minister was a Julia. A feisty red head who was betrayed. Hiss and spit. I do trust that your Julia triumphs as where ours was stabbed in the back, bludgeoned, abused...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, dear... Your Julia sounds like she got caught in the middle of a horror story, EC. I can guarantee you my Julia will triumph - after a bit of abuse, of course. ;)

      Delete
  11. Han was epic. They need someone as good in the new Star Wars. I have a friend who dies her hair purple. It looks good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have my fingers crossed for episodes 7,8, & 9, Mary! Purple is an awesome color. Someday I'm going to do it. :)

      Delete
  12. Great interview! Han Solo, mmmm. You have good taste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmm is a good way to put it, Christine! He never grows any older on that DVD, either. Me, on the other hand...

      Delete
  13. I'm ready for your next two books, River. And please let EC know I'm sorry about the stabbed-in-the-back PM.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ron! I'm writing and writing some more to finish them. :D That's a shame about EC's PM. Politics is a dirty game.

      Delete
  14. Cracking interview Grommet. Dust, diamonds, magic caves, mythical creatures and dragons. Looks like a must buy, I will power up my Kobo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, snafu! I'm thrilled it sounds like a must buy for you. :D

      Delete
  15. Great choice picking both Trek and Wars River. Can't we all just get along!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Maurice! I can see why people might prefer one over the other - they are quite different - but I've never understood why some compare them. Apples and oranges!

      Delete
  16. Hi Elli - great you've featured River here .. and I can catch up - I'm looking forward to reading the steampunk saga set in London - and I love her name .. names are fascinating - and how they're pronounced etc - let alone spelt sometimes ...

    Good luck River .. glad the snark is around and about too ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snark is alive and well here, Hilary! I can't leave home without it. :)

      Delete

I love comments. They make my day!