Wednesday, 2 October 2013

Misha Gericke - Speculative Fiction Writer


I'm thrilled to welcome Misha Gericke as this week's Speculative Fiction Writer. Misha recently gave herself the ambitious goal of earning $7500 in royalties every month. For a year. Within five years.




She's starting that quest this Friday, with the publication of her debut novel The Vanished Knight. In the meantime, she's answered a few of my questions.

Q:  Please tell us a little about yourself. Where are you from, and what do you do when you're not writing short stories or novels?

A: Hehehe this question always gets me. I don’t ever really know where to start. Mmm… Okay. My name’s Misha Gericke, but because no one ever remembers how to spell it, I’m publishing my first book as M. Gerrick.

I live in a small town on the False Bay Coast in South Africa. We’re famous for the huge ass sharks and for surfing. Hopefully not at the same time.

When I’m not writing or editing, I’m probably exporting fruit and vegetables to Europe. For fun, (other than writing) I sing, fence, sew and paint. At the moment I’m also learning how to ride horses, but I haven’t decided if I like it or not.

Q:  On your blog you describe yourself as a self-proclaimed bookworm. What book(s) or author(s) ignited your passion for reading?

A: This one is tricky. My grandmother (an author in my country) used to tell me stories. So when I’d started reading at school and wanted my mom to tell stories to me too, she gave me books instead and told me to read.

So I did. Lots.

Q: You describe yourself as a speculative fiction writer. Do you have a favourite genre within that category?

A: Fantasy. My upcoming book is an Epic (portal) Fantasy, but I also write Urban and Dystopian Fantasy.

My second favourite genre is dystopian.

Q:  You have a new book out this Friday. Congratulations! Can you tell us a little about it?

A: Thanks!

It’s my debut, and the story that takes up the most space in my mind. Basically, The Vanished Knight is the first part of a story on how the War of Six Crowns came about in my fantasy world.

One of the countries, Nordaine, has only one blood heir (the Black Knight) to its throne. Because the Black Knight didn’t have children, an heir has to be appointed. The power this entails means that all of the noble families are taking sides behind two of three candidates, pushing them forward. This is slowly fracturing the power structure in the country.

When the Knight vanishes along with one of the heirs, the remaining two have to find him before someone starts a civil war.

But that’s only the main story.



Q:  Would you like to share an excerpt with us?

A: Sure. Here it is…

Darrion grabbed the flaming torch from its stand and went to the head he’d severed. He picked it up by its hair and inspected the face. Not a Lyrian assassin after all. He’d seen this man in the general’s tent often.
He dropped the head in the mud and sloshed over to the other corpses, casting light on them. All of them familiar. All of them from the Nordian camp. They must have stolen clothes off the Lyrian soldiers theyd killed over the past few days.
Are you OK? Kaela asked from the darkness behind him.
Trust her to be the first person to come to his aid. Even when it was a bit too late.
Fine. He kept his eyes on the corpses, trying to place them.
Kaela moved into his circle of light, staring at them. House of Waernich, she said, answering his unstated question. She wiped raindrops from her face.
Youre sure?
She nodded emphatically, pointing to a corpse with short, blond hair. Hes my cousin. Her finger moved to one with dark hair. His brother. The other two with heads are second cousins.
Westenmeres like you, then? If the first family of Waernich was involved, big trouble brewed somewhere out of sight.
She scowled at him, letting her scar further disfigure the left side of her face. Westenmere, yes. But not like me. They can burn in hell for all I care.
Kaela disappeared into the darkness, leaving him alone with his thoughts. Westenmeres didnt get their hands dirty unless they thought they could get away with it. Why now? Usually they hired poor fools to come after him. Maybe theyd finally figured out that nothing less than the best-trained knights could kill him.
And given that Lorcan Blaecoine, last blood heir to Nordaines crown and Black Knight of Sylmion, would have no children, of course Darrions death must be the Waernichs hearts desire. After all, Darrion, his best friend Gawain, and the Waernichs son, Quinlan Westenmere, were the three candidates to be appointed as Lorcans heir. That appointment was sought after; people would kill for the chance to be the future King.
As heir to the House of Murion, Gawain had a family as powerful as the Westenmeres to protect him. Darrion didnt. His only protection lay in the fact that he was a ferocious fighter with a wicked reputation.
He dug his hand into his pocket and ran his thumb over the pebble inside. The Waernich, Ulric Westenmere, had just risked some of his more important direct family members in that assassination attempt. Theyd suddenly become a lot more determined to see him dead. Even willing to risk tying themselves to the murder of one of the Kings favorites. Why now? What did they know that he didnt?
Hed have to send a messenger home to find out. In the meantime, he had a gift to send to the Waernich. Darrion pressed the torch into the mud so it would stand. He pulled off his cloak and put the severed head on it. After that, he went to work cutting off the others.
Once that was done, he wiped his sword clean on his cloak before wrapping and tying it around the heads. He sheathed his sword and hauled the makeshift sack over his shoulder, heading to his tent.

Q:  Now for the compulsory random question: If you had to choose five books to send to an alien civilisation, what would they be and why?

A: Ooh uhm…

Lord of the Flies by William Golding
On the Road by Jack Kerouac
In Cold Blood by Truman Capote
The Devil’s Dictionary by Ambrose Bierce

And… The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain.

All because I think they’d give any alien with time to read a good idea about what we humans are like.

Thanks so much for taking the time to interview me!


If you want to know more about Misha, The Five Year Project is the place to go.

Purchase The Vanished Knight here:

Amazon / Amazon UK / Amazon France / Amazon Germany / Barnes & Noble


Thank you, Misha. I loved the excerpt, and wish you every success with your goal. I know you can do it! I'll be back on Friday, with a cover reveal from Crystal Collier. Until then, have a great week.

24 comments:

  1. Aw, I'm sorry you're not using your full name. It's so beautiful. I love the way it sounds.

    Congrats on your debut. It's the scariest but most exciting time in a published author's life. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for interviewing me, Ellie!

    Maria, it would have been nice to keep my name on the front page, but it's just not realistic at this stage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Misha is a real go-getter! With her determination, I can see her reaching that goal!
    Congrats on your debut!
    Oh, I love Lord Of The Flies...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awe thanks Mish!

      Lord of the Flies is one of my faves. :-)

      Delete
  4. Hi Misha and Ellie - such a great goal - good for you and go for it! Would love the revisit the False Bay Coast .. so much inspiration there ..

    Have fun on Friday with the release .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hilary! Just hoping the release goes smoother than the run-up to it. ;-)

      Delete
  5. That is one heck of a goal! I'd scare myself if I made that much from book sales, Well, maybe not.
    Sharks and surfing at same time - not good.
    Friday is the big day!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great interview, you guys! Misha knows how to rock a party! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on your release, Misha. I don't know about that group of five books you'd send to aliens. They wouldn't expect us to be very peaceful would they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, but then we hardly are a peaceful species. ;-)

      Delete
  8. I enjoyed the excerpt and Misha's interview. I'm wishing her and her novel great success! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lexa, glad you enjoyed it. :-)

      Delete
  9. Yay, Misha! But seriously, not sure if you like horseback riding? *clasps a hand over heart* How could you not be sure?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well... my first lessons got off to a bad start. Out of almost ten, I've been to three I enjoyed.

      The other three felt as if I had an animal four times my size under me who either didn't like me, or who didn't think I deserved to be in charge...

      Delete
  10. It's a wonderful book. I haven't ridden since a kid. I should take it up again. It was fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      It is fun. I'm starting to decide it's a worthwhile activity. :-)

      Delete
  11. Love Misha! And loved the excerpt. Fabulous interview, Ellie. The pair of you together is a win/win! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks so much Morgan! Glad you enjoyed it. :-)

      Delete
  12. Great interview and I loved the excerpt!! Congratulations, Misha. I can't wait to read the whole book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's great to learn more about you, Misha, and also hear your voice. It definitely shines through! Thrilled for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thrilled to read you can hear my voice. It's something I'm striving for in my interviews. Don't want them to go all dry and stuff. :-)

      Delete

I love comments. They make my day!