Wednesday, 25 September 2013

Milo James Fowler - Speculative Fiction Writer



Today I'm extra happy to be welcoming back speculative fictioneer, Milo James Fowler. He agreed to answer some of my questions. Did he know what he was letting himself in for?




Q: Where are you from, and what do you do when you're not writing short stories or novels?

I'm a San Diego native, and when I'm not writing, I'm teaching 7th & 8th grade English and a creative writing workshop – or I'm grading papers. When I have the time, I enjoy swimming, surfing, and mountain biking.

Q: What three words would you use to describe your writing?

Speculative pulp fiction

Q: You are a prolific writer, with over 70 publications. What inspires you to keep writing?

I want to share my characters and their stories with as many readers as possible.

Q: What are you working on now?

I'm currently neck-deep in revisions on a future noir / time travel novel; 90K down, another 60K to go!

Q:  Do you have a favourite writing quote and, if so, what is it?

"The worst stuff you write is always better than the best stuff you don't." – Anonymous

"Never give up, never surrender!" – Galaxy Quest

Q:  Now for the compulsory random question: If you were spending six months on the International Space Station, what five items would you take with you?

1.  Gizmo (my Kindle) with all my favorite books fully loaded
2.  Gizmo's charger, since he'll run out of juice every few weeks
3.  iPad to take photos/video of the amazing view and to type up stories the space station will inspire
4.  iPad charger, since it will run out of juice every day
5.  My toothbrush

I don't like reading on the iPad with all that back-lit glare, and Gizmo is my sidekick. We travel together often, and he's good company. As for the toothbrush…well… It doubles as a phaser.



The vault door never opened. The bank went into lockdown in less than a minute. Yet the security footage was unmistakable: a hundred silver bars had simply vanished.

Ever since the city’s most dangerous crime boss put a price on his head, private investigator Charlie Madison has lived as an exile in Little Tokyo. But now an old friend and police sergeant has lured Madison back into the city to hunt down an invisible criminal—if he can.

As Madison makes his clandestine return, high-profile people start disappearing. And when federal agents swoop onto the scene to take matters into their own hands, they offer Madison a deal he can't refuse—as long as he agrees to work with them. With Japanese freedom fighters and refurbished killing machines threatening to take the world to the brink of nuclear holocaust, the United World government needs all the help it can get.

Embroiled in an unimaginable mystery, one private eye must rely on his wits to solve a case where the evidence is immaterial, and the odds are stacked high against him at every turn.


You can find Milo and all his latest news over at In Medias Res.


Thank you, Milo. I know someone with a cat called Gizmo. I'm not sure how he'd feel about you taking him to the ISS, though. But if I were going, my Kindle would be top of the list. Before I forget, in October I'll be teaming up with Milo and a few other authors to bring you...you'll have to wait! Evil chuckle.

I'll be back on Monday. Have a great rest of the week.

9 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good book, but the plot line reminds me a bit of 'Jumper'. I must add it to my growing list. Anyone who quotes Galaxy Quest gets my vote.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like what you would take - smart man to remember the chargers.
    And the Galaxy Quest quote - awesome!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for having me, Ellie! Looking forward to October -- mwahaha...

    I should also mention that I'm giving away a copy of Immaterial Evidence this week; details here:
    www.milojamesfowler.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Over 70 publications is AWESOME! I really enjoyed Milo's entertaining interview, and I think it's so funny he's named his Kindle. (I named a car once but that's about it.) Wishing him great success with his newest novel. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Uh huh; I can see how a toothbrush could double as a phaser. Sure!

    That's a lot of words to put in a novel.

    ..........dhole

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great to learn more about Milo. I totally love that first writing quote, I need to remember that one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent list for the space station. I'd like to believe the station would supply a toothbrush, thus enabling you to add an extra item. Like a laptop or a coffeemaker or a cleverly disguised spouse. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Ellie and Milo - what a fun read .. practical too - you've achieved so much - so very good luck with the future .. especially those extra words ..

    Cheers to you both - Hilary

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. They make my day!