Wednesday, 20 March 2013

Ciara Knight - Speculative Fiction Writer

Before I introduce this week's Speculative Fiction Writer, I'm especially happy to say the Passing Time Blog Tour is visiting the wonderful Mary Pax today, over at Spacedock 19. I'd love it if you could join us there.



I'm thrilled to bring you this week's Speculative Fiction Writer, fantasy and paranormal author Ciara Knight. Over to you, Ciara.







Beyond the Words

When a reader opens the front cover of a book they expect an adventure beyond the mere reading of words on a page. An author must capture the world, culture, fashion, time period, and so much more. I’ve heard from many readers that they feel like they are watching a movie when they read my stories. I take that as a compliment. It means they are SEEING what I’m writing. Not every story has to be written with description that makes a reader feel this way, but when writing The Neumarian Chronicles I wanted the reader to see, taste, feel, and hear the world. 

Today I thought I’d share a few bits of the world.

The Neumarian Chronicles takes place on Earth about a decade after the Great War of 2185. There are several social classes. Kantian, rulers and council members of the queen’s empire. Neumarians who are collared and enslaved to serve the queen, and humans that are in between. When the reader meets these different classes of people it isn’t spelled out, but revealed through different actions, gadgets, and environment. One of the main visual features for the reader is the different fashion styles of the social classes.



Kantian’s dress in extravagant clothing, rich with silk and embellished with ornaments and jewels.











Neumarians are dressed in peasant and slave clothing. Usually one stitch from bare.












Humans are in cleaner outfits, but not with the ostentatious flair of Kantians. 













There are many other visual and environmental features that can be used to show the world, availability of goods and gadgets, luxury items, and even underwear. No, I’m not kidding. A Kantian may wear elaborate undergarments of hoops skirts and bloomers, while a Neumarian is stuck in a tank top and boxers handed down from older siblings. 

For more about the Neumarian Chronicles, please visit my blog, Facebook page, or my Pinterest Escapement board. 

Be bold. 
Be brave. 
Be free.


Ten years after the great war of 2185 the queen's reign is threatened by uprisings and fear. In celebration of my sixteenth birthday it is my duty as princess to sacrifice a slave to be initiated into the ruling council, solidifying my mother's empire. When my own erratic powers surface I'm captured and tried for treason. Slaves hate me, my mother wants me executed, and my only chance of survival rests in the hands of a young man, Ryder Arteres, whose sister I sentenced to death.





What people are saying:

"A heady mix of action adventure and steampunk -- leavened with a dash of romance -- ESCAPEMENT offers up its fair share of thrills, horrors and heart-pounding moments. A strong start to a captivating new series."

-- Jana Oliver, author of The Demon Trapper's Daughter

--Lindi Peterson--Award winning author of Summer's Song.

"Betrayal, secrets, and a rebellion send readers on a grand adventure, caught in the plight to discover Semara's gifts and purpose."

--Alex J Cavanaugh, author of Amazon best sellers CassaStar and CassaFire

"The most unmissable series ever! I couldn't stop reading, the action and romance too breathtaking to break the spell!"
--ARC review by Sudah on Goodreads

"A courageous heart-stopping journey by young people to save their kind."
--Hildie McQueen, bestselling author of Where the Four Winds Collide

Find Ciara Knight here: Blog, Facebook, Twitter, Goodreads


Thank you, Ciara. I was fascinated by this post. As a reader I'm always translating the words of a story into the visual feel of a movie. However, how well I picture that world depends on the level of thought and description the author brings. I have Escapement on my Kindle and can't wait to enter the vivid world you have already painted.

I'll be back tomorrow for the Passing Time Blog Tour's penultimate post, where you can have a peek at my writing space.

18 comments:

  1. Cool you found pictures to fit. You do describe the world well and without overdoing it, Ciara.
    And already visited you at Mary's today, Ellie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Alex. I'm glad you enjoyed Escapement!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the costume pics! It's so important to have strong imaging of your characters, and you certainly do! I wish you much success, Ciara! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved this post, Ciara! I just re-pinned the image of that girl wearing the long coat. Awesome visual!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Ellie, HI, Ciara,

    CONGRATS ELLIE... SO glad you tour is going so well!

    Very cool costumes Ciara. ALWAYS love to see your fantastic cover!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you enjoyed the pics, Lexa Cain. I love the style.

    SA Larsen, that is an awesome outfit. I want it. :)

    Michael, thanks so much. I hope you are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh how fun to have the pics for the characters' clothing. Love the visuals to go along with the story.

    Great visiting you at Mary's today, Ellie. See you tomorrow! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What great visuals. Did you have these costumes around while you wrote to keep you in the mood or did you look for the pics after you wrote?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Ellie - good to see the Steampunk Queen here with her book - I love the clothing and the concept .. I shall have to read Escapement for the Steampunk ange ..

    The video was an interesting watch .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love a story that opens a door to world I can see. A world I feel like I'm actually visiting--like a mini vacation. Those are the best stories! Like you say, it doesn't have to be all descriptive narrative. Each character and situation can add to the feel because they address characteristic features of everyday existence shared by people in a particular time or place. If you've got that you've got a good story.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have Weighted on my Nook, Ciara. I'll have to add this one and get them read. I want to and soon.

    It was such a fun visit, Ellie. You'll have to come back some time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Julie Flanders - Glad you enjoyed the pics.

    Southpaw - These pics were found after the book was done. I had a visual in my head though. :)

    Hilary - Steampunk Queen? LOL I hope you get a chance to try Escapement. If you do, please let me know your thoughts.

    Sia - I do enjoy showing the reader the different aspects of a world.

    Kate - Glad you liked them.

    M Pax - Glad you had Ellie over today. I'm just now getting some blogging in today. I've been out of office, but I'm headed over now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the drama and flair of these fashions.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful pictures, Ciara. I am fascinated with the way some writers do world building and research for their stories.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Catherine Stine - I want the long coat and boots. :)

    Rachna Chhabria - It is my favorite part of the craft. Thanks for stopping in and leaving a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The clothing etc says so much about the world and its people. Your world sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. They make my day!